Monday, August 4, 2008

changes

A fledgling blogger cannot take 10 days off and expect to retain her readers. Hello to anyone still reading this blog.

Work consumed my life for the past week or so, but wrapped up nicely on Friday and allowed me to have a great, relaxing weekend. I had plenty of time to think about the next few months, and all the changes that my life will inevitably go through. Possibly finding a new job, possibly living in a new city, temporarily moving back in with my parents, oh and getting married. Huge events that will make my independent, semi-selfish, carefree uptown life a distant memory. People keep asking me how I feel about all the changes. Depending on the change and the time of day, I'm excited, nervous, ready, thrilled, petrified and/or grateful. The truth is the changes haven't hit me just yet. They are just around the corner, but I'm just trying to juggle the balls that are being thrown at me one at a time. I felt a little overwhelmed at several points this weekend, but was comforted by a simple phrase that I remember seeing over and over while growing up.

"Find your passion and pursue it."

Barbara Mills, the mother of a friend that I've known since sixth grade, has had these six words written on a post-it note and taped to her fridge for as along as I can remember. Everytime I think of this phrase, I feel inspired. I am reminded that life is unpredictable and always evolving. No matter how hopeless things may sometimes seem, we always have the possibility of changing the course of our future, in big and small ways. The ball is in our court!

I know that I'm not the only one going through life changes and period of uncertainty right now, we all are. Whether it's finding a new job, feeding a new baby, deciding what your next career move will be, looking for the love of your life, dealing with family issues....there are so many more chapters of our life to be written. And I think applying the phrase above in any of these situations starts us on the right course. This is kind of a random entry, but since I was long overdue on a post, i thought I'd try and capture some of the thoughts racing through my head. I know the phrase above will be repeating in my head over the next few months, thought I'd share it with you too.

Have a great Monday.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I still check in! And weddings are crazy - and MAKE you crazy - it's perfectly normal. :-)