Some people are good movers. They plan out their move months in advance. They gather appropriately-sized boxes and pack in an organized fashion. I've heard there are people that number their boxes and create a master index so that you can tell what is in each numbered box, without having to rip open the box to remember. Who are these people?? Not me, that's for sure.
Despite, having moved 10 times in the last 10 years, I am certainly not a good mover. I start planning out my move about six days before my lease ends. I realize I need to hire movers and oh yea, I need to rent a storage facility for the stuff that my parents will not allow me to store at home. I scramble to find boxes, tape and scissors and then on moving day, i realize that I don't have enough of any of these supplies. So, after the movers take what is in movable form, I have to ask my brother for his SUV to load up the piles and piles of stuff still left behind. And since I don't have any boxes remaining, I basically just dump all this stuff into the car. It's a mess and unloading this mess is normally a disaster too. Luckily, I have kind friends and family to help me out.
Each move I've ever had, I've always had certain people rise to the call of duty and go above and beyond to help me out. August 2008 Move was no different, and I'd like to give a few shout-outs:
- The Democrat, thanks for being there in spirit. I know you would have helped if you were able to. Luckily, we'll have the rest of our lives to move around together.
- Len, thanks for the air mattress that made my last night at the apartment less depressing than it would otherwise have been. And also thanks for offering to come and help clean my bathroom, what a friend!
- Tino & TP, thanks for helping me rearrange my items once they got into storage and for all the heavy lifting.
- Eskimak, thanks for leaving your room in pristine condition & sorry in advance for anything I inadvertantly got rid of. Thanks also for keeping me company during my last-night-at-the-apartment insomnia spell.
- Zack, I know that you swore you'd never help me with another move, but thanks for eating those words and reaching out one more time. Your surprising patience and presence saved the day. And thanks for bringing Mathew, so much fun!
- Cheryl, thanks for getting all the boxes that I had and repeatedly offering to help, even though you had just given birth 20 hours before.
- Mom and Dad, thanks for the current housing, the old apartment cleaning and for remaining calm in the general choas of it all. Mom, sorry again about that piece of glass that I was holding that shattered into a million pieces, one of which sliced your foot. My bad.
Thanks to everyone who wanted to help, but could not. Signups for November 2008 Move begin in just a few weeks. A few pics from the move. 10 points if you can find my mom. She's in all three.

1 comment:
oh my goodness! your poor mother under the bouncy ball. hilarious.
Post a Comment