I'm a little too tired to think of anything unique or interesting to blog about, but since i know that the first step to a successful blog is frequent updates, I will give you a recap of my weekend.
Friday night we went out to celebrate Zack's birthday. Since everyone that I've sent this link to knows Zack pretty well, there's no need to go into just how special he is. Zack and his endless commentary drive me & the rest of our family crazy, but keep us constantly entertained at the same time. Recent examples of Zack's craziness: 1) paying to have a hairstylist put his hair into corn rows and 2) conducting a fifteen person poll to determine the way people prefer to have their watermelon served (triangle slices? small bite-sized pieces? made into balls via a melon scooper?). Happy Birthday to you Zack. Hope your Magic Johnson year is your best yet!
More Zack, Cheryl & Mathew on Saturday as we celebrated my soon to arrive niece with a baby shower brunch! As of now, she is expected to come out on 08-08-08. In addition to being a cool date, this is also the opening day of the Summer Olympics in Beijing. No word on a name just yet, but I have heard that Zack & Cheryl are not interested in doing the Malayalee alliteration thing, so no Maria or Maxie or Michelle or Monica, etc. Zeena has also been eliminated from contention. After the successful baby shower brunch, we headed to Addison to hang out with the Georges. I had to leave the fun to go into work for a while (boring boring). But was able to end the night on a high note by catching a late night showing of The Dark Knight, with Leni, the world's best movie partner. I loved the movie! I'm not a huge fan of Heath Ledger or the Batman movies, but definitely enjoyed this one. Heath Ledger was awesome as the Joker and was really freaking creepy.
Highlights of Sunday included church, a good workout, donating blood and more time with my family. I tried to donate blood about at the beginning of the year, but was rejected since I had been to India (a suspect country) within the last year. A few weeks ago, I got an email saying i enough time had passed and I was eligible to donate again. So, i did. After filling out some quick paperwork, I was led to small room where i filled out questions about my lifestyle and personal history. A rep from the Blood Center came in to further screen me and the very first words out of his mouth were, "Hindu? Muslim?" When I said, "No, Christian," he was ecstatic. He told me it was great that I was a Christian. Thanks, I think so too. Then this guy asked me if i was in high school. Saying "No, not in school, I work" was not enough, so eventually, i told this guy that I was a lawyer. He immediately asked me if I would help him out with some legal issues that he was having, if I could take him on as pro bono client, do the work for free. Seriously. I said, "Oh, Sorry, i do business oriented work, my firm doesn't really work like that, but there are a lot of services/local lawyers around, sure you can find someone that works." I'll be honest, I didn't really consider taking this random guy that i'd met for one second as a client; my firm does not work that way. I was nervous about donating blood and wanted to just get in and out as quickly as possible. This guy and his request that i represent him for free were slowing me down.
Instead of saying okay, or going about his job of processing my paperwork so that I can donate blood, this guy tells me "What kind of Christian are you? God says that you should help the poor and those in need. You should be helping me, not just looking for people that can pay you. Life is not all about money." I guess I should also mention that there was nothing about this guy's tone that indicated he was just joking or just giving me a hard time. He was serious. I was pissed that this guy who doesn't know me at all, would make such a harsh judgment about me, based solely on my unwillingness to accept his inappropriate request. But rather than be nasty back to him, I calmly said that he didn't know me well enough to make that statement. Well then I did ask if he could hurry up and focus on getting through the paperwork. I guess that part was a little nasty, but i think it was warranted.
Okay, well it is time to go to sleep, an early monday morning is just around the corner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Z you're a great movie partner too! I have not once been dragged to see a cheesy musical or something else equally lame as I have been with other friends who will remain nameless.
That guy at the blood donation place sounds like a jerk. You should report him.
You want commentary, i'll give you commentary. but not on this posting, it was a little boring :)
Post a Comment