Friday, October 17, 2008

Name Change

In a little over a month, I will be a married woman. It's still crazy to me!

I feel like my my life is going at warp speed and I'm not able to stop and process just how much things will change. Do you remember that show Out of this World? The one with the teenage girl, Evie, who was half-alien, half human. According to Wikipedia: "Evie's main power is the ability to freeze time for other earthlings (while time continues for her and her dad) by joining two fingers, during which she maneuvers herself or objects to alter the course of events on Earth. When she claps her hands together, time resumes as normal." Remember her now?! That's what I need. I need to be able to freeze time and savor all the experiences of the next month. Oh, if only my dad were an alien from the planet Antareus.

So one of the big changes after marriage will be the new last name. From Angadicheril to Philips. I can't imagine what it will be like to have a last name that people can pronounce. I wonder whether I will miss hearing the people say, "I'm not even going to try and pronounce that one." "Forgive me for butchering your name" etc. etc. I know I will miss being an "A" and at the front of the alphabet.

I've always loved my initials - ZTA - and the sorority inspired keychains I've been able to collect with these letters over the years (hello zeta). But I've decided to change make my middle name to Angadicheril, so that I will have a new, just as cool set of initials - ZAP! It's so powerful, so energetic. I love it! It's almost a whole new persona, to take with me into this new chapter of life. I told my friend Sam about this the other day. Sam didn't seem too interested in the conversation (you guys may not be too interested either), but then within a minute after hanging up the phone, he sent me the pic below. ZAP - an American Gladiator from the original series. Everytime I see her, it makes me cringe and laugh. Happy Friday!



1 comment:

Stacey said...

I know what you mean. I gotta be honest - the name change thing was REALLY hard for me. I too loved being an "A". Now everyone butchers "Farrell" - "Anderson" was so easy!! And I went from SMA to SMF...Smurf?? It's very weird, but being on the other side of marriage is the best. Despite the craziness and weirdness and all that stuff!! So ZAP on with your bad self!!