Monday, December 1, 2008

Day 1 – Monday, Nov. 24th (Travel Day)

Honeymoon Day 1 – Monday, Nov. 24th (Travel Day)

The honeymoon officially started late Sunday night, when my parents dropped us off at the new Grand Hyatt Hotel inside DFW’s fancy Terminal D. The Democrat had let them know that it was our honeymoon, so the friendly folks at the Hyatt upgraded us to a suite. The room was really nice -- spacious, sleek, huge bedroom and living room, enormous bathroom, and two large flat screen tvs, both of which carried Food Network, which we watched until 1am. Ahh, American luxury!! The best part was the location, I highly recommend staying at an airport hotel, or at least this one! The huge windows in our room looked out to the runways that were 25 feet from us, but the walls were thick enough that we didn’t hear planes all night long. The next morning, we just had to take the hotel elevator downstairs and we were already at airport security. Speaking of airport security, the airport security guard who checked my passport couldn’t help but mock me over my passport picture, which admittedly, was taken during my awkward years. He said something to the effect of me turning into a swan, which I guess was a compliment. But his comments mostly focused on the pre-swan period. Thanks buddy.

After a quick stop in New York, we boarded our 8-hr flight to Rome. I checked out the on-flight entertainment schedule and realized that our movie choices were limited to The Bucket List and some Eddie Murphy comedy about aliens. No thanks. Neither sounded appealing to me and that’s when it hit me just how tired I was after a month or so of little to no sleep. And that’s when I crashed, only to be woken up for breakfast just before we landed in Rome. We’ve established that The Democrat is not able to crash as easily as me, so he sat through 4 episodes of How I Met Your Mother and planned our trip. My apologies to The Democrat for not being a better flight partner.

No comments: